Friday, February 9, 2007

What is that noise? Oh, it's coming from my headphones... cool...

I just love music, so when I hit the "next blog" button and had it blaring from my headphones, I just knew that this just had to be my final blog to post on, since I could keep the page up and have entertainment!

No seriously, it's a nifty looking blog. Throw The Fight is a band I've never heard of, but this ties in really well with our class discussion today and Wednesday. This is basically just a blog, with notes about the band's shows and new website developments. There are some links, but they are concerned with the band and not the outside world so much. Also, the postings are pretty short and lack that more grounded, focused criteria of a notebook.

Definitely, this site is for reputation building. Of course there's some info sharing, but very little self-expression except through the design of the template, and I think that's more of a collective, possibly agent-handled effort, but it's hard to say since I don't know how big this band is. They're big enough to be on Warped Tour, which my musically-hip sister tells me is a pretty big show. But anyway, that's off topic just a bit.

The style of this blog is different from most I've looked at. For starters, the beforementioned music is something I want to learn how to do, it's a great way to catch someone who's just browsing through blogs. Also, because of the way the template is set up, white text on a dark-red background, it is a bit hard to read but the postings are short so it's not such a big issue, like it would be with longer posts. Also on the sidebar is a "now-playing" feature that tells you what song is being blasted out of the speakers, and you can also play/pause/skip songs.

While the content is band-focused, it's not strictly music-related. While the posts mostly concern upcoming and past shows, there are a couple of postings that focus on award nominations, sort of a thanks-for-all-your-support type of thing. This ties back to the reputation building aspect of the blog. Other bands are very rarely mentioned, except when this band is performing a show with them, so there is no trash-talking.

The sidebar includes a calendar of events and an archive of older posts, along with ways to get on the band's mailing list and receive wireless alerts on a mobile phone. The title section provides links for other sites that the band is involved in, such as their MySpace page, and links to photos, videos, bios, and the like. One disadvantage I saw to the way their calendar was set up was that only the date and venue names, not the town the venues are in, is listed on the main page. One must click on the date and venue to see where it's located.

I do have to say this was my favorite blog of the three I blogged about, but that might just be the subject matter...

No comments: